Registration for the 2018-2019 Season is now closed. Subscribe to the email newsletter to find out when the next openings will be available for registration. (generally early summer for the following season)
Do you want to learn to make music as part of a group? Do you want to build your skills on ukulele? Join us for the Royal City Ukulele Ensemble program. (Ages 18+, limited spaces)
- 2-hour weekly classes (including mandatory Skill Sessions using the Ukulele in the Classroom curriculum) build repertoire, music literacy skills (including note reading) and competency.
- Songs will be in one or more parts for ukulele (+ voice).
- There are performance opportunities so you are expected to practice!
- Repertoire is diverse. Be prepared to learn anything from Top 40 tunes to ‘80s cover songs, vaudeville ditties to 1950’s rockabilly, classical music to big band swing…well, you’ll never know what’s coming up next.
Please note this is not a beginner program. Although we welcome players of a range of abilities, you must be comfortable playing at a confident beginner+ level to sign up for this program. You should be comfortable with:
- a variety of strum patterns
- a range of basic chords including G, A, D, G7, D7, E7, Dm, Em and be able to move between these chords without hesitation
- some basic understanding of note-reading or a willingness to learn
An informal interview with program director, Cynthia Kinnunen, is also required to assess ability before registration is confirmed.
*This ensemble program presently supports ukuleles in C6 tuning only.
Program Details and Registration:
The Royal City Ukulele Ensemble runs from mid-September through mid-June on Tuesday evenings. A full season commitment is required (there is no entrance mid-year).
Classes each week take place at the Village of Arbour Trails (Schlegel Villages) where residents of this seniors facility enjoy listening to the group learn and play, with a performance specifically for residents several times a year, in addition to other performances around town.
Your program fee includes the full year of classes, materials and a minimum of three performance opportunities over the course of the year. This program has a limited number of spaces and fills up quickly.
Want the Royal City Ukulele Ensemble to perform at your event? RCUE enjoys sharing ukulele happiness at a wide variety of events and locations! A stipend is requested as the RCUE uses funds raised from performances to support a local music education initiative. Get in touch with Cynthia directly at email@example.com to learn more and talk about whether your event can work.
In the meantime, here’s a little ukulele orchestra inspiration to take a listen to. Check it out and then grab yourself a uke!